[pianotech] P22 Sticky Keys

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Tue Feb 15 19:27:20 MST 2011

Hi,
Based on the new P22's (and Cable Nelsons) I've seen recently, I recommend the following before the piano even leaves the store:

-Lube balance rail pins and front rail pins with McLube.
-Service the balance holes, using both the thickness reamer (Schaff 3156) and the tapered balance hole burnisher (Schaff 43) as necessary.
(If any readers do not know the proper use of these tools, or how to evaluate if the key is properly fitted, ask before acting!)
-Iron the key bushings (both rails) using the Pianotek cauls in the soldering iron.  Be conservative, but do allow for some barely-detectable side-to-side motion (at least if you've on the Canadian prairies with our WIDE humidity swings.)
-Lubricate key bushings with powdered teflon (I apply it with a pipe cleaner.)

This treatment essentially eliminates the possibility of the keys themselves being sluggish, and this has been the source of the problem on the instruments I have serviced.

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter