[pianotech] CA pinblock with tight bushings?

Douglas Gregg classicpianodoc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 20:08:03 MST 2011

Here is a quick follow up that will be even more useful for drilling
collars. I found that piano wire will work better than drill bits to
drill tuning pin collars. The wire will not break. You can use size 16
or 17 with the 20 gauge needle. A piece of 23 or 24 will work for the
18 gauge needle. I cut a piece about 2 inches long, straighten it, and
chuck it into a good quality pin vise that then is chucked into a
regular drill chuck. The pin vise is very narrow and fits nicely next
to the pin. Drill in about 3/4 inch and insert the needle and syringe.
Give it about 1/2 cc or more per pin.

The question about being a veterinarian- Rumor is true, I am one.  I
am a veterinary pathologist. As mentioned once before, I had a double
major in biology and chemistry in undergrad school at U of Ill. Thus
the interest in the chemistry of adhesives. I am semi-retired from
research and diagnostics at Plum Island Animal Disease Center where
work is done on animal diseases exotic to the US. I still teach there
in four 2 week courses each year. I have been tuning pianos and pipe
organs for about 10 years. I planned to do this in my retirement.  I
retired 3 years ago and have a full service piano business and
restoration shop. I started on pipe organs with a church  organist
from NYC who built organs. I learned a lot. I learned the piano
business from my brother-in-law who is the showroom tech for Steinway
in NJ.  He worked in the Steinway and Sohmer factories also.
So the name Classic Piano Doc is legitimate. I have a DVM and PhD.

Doug Gregg
Southold, NY 11971