[pianotech] MSDS for Woolite Heavy Duty Traffic with

johnparham at piano88.com johnparham at piano88.com
Wed Feb 16 11:19:40 MST 2011

"Years ago I heard in a class that Woolite rug shampoo was good for
scrubbing around tuning pins. I picked up some new stuff called "Woolite
Heavy Traffic with Scotchguard".
There are no contents listed on the can. Is this stuff safe?  Greg
Hollister RPT"

Greg,

I checked the MSDS sheet for this product.  It looks like the only
contents are PROPANE, a type of BUTANE, and ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL (which
means there is water in the alcohol, of course).  The acrylate polymer
may be questionable.  Scotchguard, on the other hand, is more mysterious
compared to the product without the Scotchguard.

Here's the contents section of the MSDS with the contents of Scotchguard
listed as well:

Ingredient Percent OSHA PPM ACGIH PPM CAS Number
Isobutane <5% TLV 1000 75- 28- 5
Propane <5% TLV 1000 TLV 1000 74- 98- 6
Also Contains surfactants, acrylate polymer, fragrance and water.

Scotchguard:
Polyacrylate Resin 19 - 21 None Established None (Trade Secret)
PolySiloxane Derivatives 4.5 - 5.5 Not Established None (Trade Secret)

Maybe someone with a chemical background would have an idea of how safe
scotchguard would be.

-John Parham