[pianotech] CA pinblock with tight bushings?

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Feb 16 14:06:57 MST 2011

No, not pulling your leg here Doug. This has been the subject of a
number of threads on this forum. The soundboard is a transducer. All
the energy that (does indeed) move the soundboard comes from the
vibrating strings. There is no energy added to the system beyond what
the strings are able to provide. An amplifier is a device that uses an
addition of power (most commonly electricity - such as with a powered
speaker) to increase the motion of something and thus increase volume.

The reason you don't hear the vibrating piano string very much without
the soundboard is that the surface area of the string is very small
and simply cannot move much air. When the string is coupled to the
soundboard via the bridge, the string moves the soundboard which has
quite a lot of area, and thus the volume is louder than the string by
itself. However, it can only be as loud as the string has energy and
the soundboard is efficient - no energy is added to the system. And
thus the soundboard is a transducer.

A transducer is a device that convert one form of energy into another.
In the case of the piano, the soundboard/bridge assembly converts the
motion energy of the metal strings into sound energy. Nothing is
amplified.

I'm glad you wrote back and asked the question. Thinking that the
soundboard acts as an amplifier is a very common assumption and
mistake. Some years ago I would have thought that way also.

And FWIW, the stereo speakers in my family room have speakers that are
amplified, but both of them also have a passive radiator (speakers
without a magnetic coil) - I suppose the passive radiators are
transducers of sorts. They take air motion from inside the sealed
enclosure (speaker box) and covert it to sound (but isn't air motion
within the audio hearing range sound by definition?). Yes? I'm really
not sure about that one!

Terry Farrell