[pianotech] Amplification Definition. Was: ( CA pinblock with tight bushings?)

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 16 21:41:33 MST 2011

Terry, Bruce:
    We can argue about whether the soundboard is an amplifier or not, but it doesn't change the laws of physics.  Energy in = energy out.  Nothing disappears, but energy transfers from one form to another.
    The  energy that is put into the piano by forcing a felt-covered stick to hit a string is not lost.  The energy is dissipated in different ways.  If those strings are connected to a larger surface area (soundboard) via bridges and ribs, some of that energy will be dissipated by the movement of the board.  Movement of that board excites the air around it.  That excited air has absorbed some energy from the board and can be measured as sound pressure.  The rest of the energy will be dissipated by heating the wires, some into the wood cabinet, the soundboard itself, etc.
    A vibrating string by itself has so little surface area that the amplitude of sound pressure is very small.  Building a device (a piano) that has the string energy coupled to a  larger surface area that moves a larger amount of air,  an increased sound pressure results.  The only thing that has changed is that the system has become more efficient in changing the energy of a vibrating string into sound pressure.
    If one defines "amplification" as an increase of efficiency in the system, then indeed there is amplification.  But that is not the way amplification is defined.  We do get more of what we wanted from our vibrating string.by adding a sounding board.   But It is technically not "amplified", since the common use of the word "amplify" means that some form of energy has been added to augment the  the system.
    Now, if you add a microphone, pickup or other electronic device, couple it to the vibrating string, connect it to an amplifier where energy is added from an external source, and then connect a loudspeaker to create sound pressure, you will achieve the same result as adding a soundboard coupled to a vibrating string.  Your sound pressure levels are going to increase as you add energy (turn up the volume).   It will have, in the strict traditional definition, have been "amplified".      Making a system more efficient doen't make it an "amplifier".
    If you want to define it differently, you can start a cult.
    The horse is now suitably flogged, and is now dead.  My condolences.
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego