[pianotech] Sub Harmonic "buzzing" in Treble Intervals

Patrick C. Poulson pcpoulson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 17 09:05:20 MST 2011

Jeff: I am fairly sure that you would have checked for this by now, but it sure sounds like a buzzing coming from some piece of hardware in the case. Locks, hinges, anything made of metal can produce a buzz, and can be very difficult to find. I have usually had to enlist the aid of an assistant who plays the offending key or keys while I apply pressure to any suspect that I can find. I once spent almost a half an hour trying to find a very loud buzz, and eventually found that it was coming from inside the keyboard lock. When I put the lock in the locked position, the sound stopped. The cure was to pack the lock with lithim grease, which deadened the sound.
Good luck!
Patrick C. Poulson
Registered Piano Technician
530-265-1983