[pianotech] Sub Harmonic "buzzing" in Treble Intervals

Jeff Atkisson jeffkiss at sonic.net
Thu Feb 17 08:00:23 MST 2011

Hi Joe,

Yep, I don't think I'm dealing with sympathetic vibrations.
Because it happens with just about all of the intervals within the
range I am hearing it.
A particular sympathetic buzz would only only respond to it's harmonic
relatives - right?
Plus I tried the test you suggested - with no response from the culprit.
Also the tone/buzz I am hearing is at the frequency you described (i.e.
the difference between the fundamental frequencies)
Problem is the tone/buzz is not pleasant or supportive to the sound.
It is sort of hoarse and spurious with an slow oscillation dying out
quickly.
In some cases it can be quite loud - actually interfering with the
sound of the chord or interval.
I'm pretty sure I don't hear it much on other pianos - although I don't
have one to run to at the moment.
This seems like something that would be quite familiar to a lot of
tuners if it was any kind of common issue ...
I'm starting to suspect my own ears, or does the piano have some kind
of strange ailment???

Thanks

Jeff