[pianotech] Sub Harmonic "buzzing" in Treble Intervals

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Thu Feb 17 09:04:59 MST 2011

Hi Jeff:

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that it is a foreign object on the soundboard
under the plate.  Long story short, the first board I put in in my shop had
a very similar sound to everything you are describing.  It drove me nuts for
several days.  I inspected the glue joints all over this piano with an
electron microscope - all good. Belly rail glue joints were good.  (Did you
check that?  When they fail, they can make nasty (un)sympathetic
vibrations.)   Looked at the board under the plate with a strong light and
mirrors.  I couldn't see anything.  A few days later I looked again, and I
could just see a little ridge of something.  Reaching it with a soundboard
steel and air compressor, I got it out.  It was a very thin steel washer.
Suddenly the horrible buzz was gone.  Whew!!

So look, look, and look again.  Blow under the plate with air if you can or
reach with soundboard tool with a magnet on it or cloth to move things
around.

I can't guarantee that this is the problem, but I think it is a contender
for sure.

Will Truitt