[pianotech] Fwd: Bummer Bass Bridge

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Feb 20 04:16:06 MST 2011

Hmmmmm, is this a test? That's funny - I can only picture you as the
teacher standing in front of the class asking that question - one that
you already know the answer to!

So, okay, I'll bite:

Interesting question. I would presume it would be most likely related
to the grain angle in the bass bridge - that a weaker orientation
lines up more favorably with the speaking pins and cracks more easily.
But come to think of it, when I have seen a cracked bass or high
treble bridge, it is almost always the speaking side that cracks more.
Could it be that the string doesn't tend to render through the bridge
pins completely and more tension is on the speaking side of the string
and thus more pressure is applied to the speaking bridge pins?