[pianotech] Fwd: Bummer Bass Bridge

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Feb 20 06:18:42 MST 2011

On 2/20/2011 5:16 AM, Terry Farrell wrote:
> Hmmmmm, is this a test? That's funny - I can only picture you as the
> teacher standing in front of the class asking that question - one that
> you already know the answer to!

Nope, it's just a long time cumulative observation.

> So, okay, I'll bite:
>
> Interesting question. I would presume it would be most likely related to
> the grain angle in the bass bridge - that a weaker orientation lines up
> more favorably with the speaking pins and cracks more easily. But come
> to think of it, when I have seen a cracked bass or high treble bridge,
> it is almost always the speaking side that cracks more. Could it be that
> the string doesn't tend to render through the bridge pins completely and
> more tension is on the speaking side of the string and thus more
> pressure is applied to the speaking bridge pins?

I don't know. There are times in the humidity cycles where the static
tensions of the back scale will be higher than speaking lengths, so I
don't think that's it. Impact pulse, or factory seating methods? I don't
know, but I think I can accurately say it's apparently not ideal capping
material.
Ron N