[pianotech] Breaking Kawai treble strings

bergpiano dan at bergpiano.com
Tue Feb 22 06:11:25 MST 2011

I have a customer with a Kawai GS-70. After it arrived about three years ago treble strings started to break while playing, about once every 2 to 3 weeks. I talked to Kawai techs and decided to restring the capo section. I used Kawai's stringing chart for decimal wire and sanded the capo to shiny smooth. I also filed the hammers. After a short while strings started to break again every month or two. Now they are breaking about one every 2 to 6 weeks. The breaks have always been at the capo.

What am I overlooking?
I would not say the players strike overly hard. It is in a private school. Students and teacher (mostly teacher) have broken wire. Classical music.
Could hammer position have a bearing here? Hammers are original.
Regulation?
I need some brainstorming here!

Many thanks,

Daniel Berg RPT