[pianotech] Breaking Kawai treble strings

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Tue Feb 22 20:46:59 MST 2011

Daniel,

Did you also shape the hammers?  The hammer shape and the regulation will
affect this as well.

But in some cases, people just break strings.  Your assumption that they
aren't playing it that hard is not supported by the fact that the strings
are breaking - someone there likes the piano, and is working it very hard on
a regular basis, I think.

One other trick that can be telling is to raise the one balance rail glide
screw at the treble break (near where these pianists tend to break the most
strings) all the way up.  This is not usually noticed by the pianist, will
not affect the tone or touch at all in softer playing, and it takes away a
little of the aggressive impact of the heavy handed pianist.

Unfortunately the strings have now become fatigued again, so no matter what
you do they will be breaking.  It is best if the hammer shape and regulation
are addressed at the same time as the new wire installation.

Don Mannino