[pianotech] Square Grand v.s. Square Piano

JWyatt1492 at aol.com JWyatt1492 at aol.com
Tue Feb 22 10:34:24 MST 2011

Hello Joe, Keith and All.

    In 1760 Johann Zumpe  built  pianos  rectangle in shape.
This piano was called a "Sq. Piano " as far back as I can
trace it.
      In " Broadwood by Appointment" page 327 we  find that
in 1938 in the notes of  Broadwood  he  writes the  "Grand "
Piano was invented by Americus Backers in 1776.  Its,
shape being like the  " Harpsichord "  i.e.   winged  shape.

   We find in Webster's New Riverside 1996  "Grand  Piano"
A piano with strings in a horizontal case.  No mention  of
case shape.

  We find in  Webster's  (2002)  " Grand Piano  "--horizontal
strings  and   wing-shaped  case.

   The Square pianos were first built in 1760 I have  evidence that
new Squares were still for sale in 1942. This makes the life span
 of the Sq. at least  182 years.
       Anybody still want to scoff at  them?

     In the PTGF. ( OUR ) Museum there is a 1782 and a  1936 Sq.
Piano on display.  One is 154   ( that's one hundred and  fifty four )
years older than the other.)

   I call them  "Square Pianos"  You may call them  anything you like.

  At the  Convention in July  you will have an opportunity  to tour
your  Museum

   Many years and a lot of work has went into creating this  Museum
It was built by Technicians for Technicians today---- and forever  after.

Jack Wyatt
PTGF. Museum
Curator