[pianotech] Mathushek GLUED-in action?

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Sun Jan 2 15:05:20 MST 2011

Dear List,

First:  Happy New Year to you all!

Recently I worked on a Mathuschek (that's how it was spelled on the decal,
with a "c") vertical.  Serial number 12307, which puts a "Mathushek" (without
the "c", and the only similar name in the Pierce Atlas) in a  birth date range
of 1880-1885.

I was going to remove the action to shape the hammers, but after I removed the
screws on the side which appeared to be securing the action I still couldn't
lift it out.  On closer inspection I saw no more screws but removing the keys
adjacent to the brackets revealed what seems to ME to be a GLUED-in action.

Am I right?  Is it glued in?  And if I wanted to remove it for repairs, would
I have to soak what looks to me like hide glue there in order to remove it?

Picture attached.

Thanks,
John Dorr, RPT
Helena, MT