[pianotech] price-negotiating customers

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Mon Jan 3 05:59:15 MST 2011

>>What words, phrases, does one use to counter prospective customers who
try to talk you down in price?

Greetings,
   I tell them that my prices are not competitive, and that anyone else
they call will charge them less. At this point the customer will either
say they are glad to have found me, or thankfully run for the hills.
This is good for both of us.   I collected some bargain hunters early
on, and it took several years of price increases to pare them from my
calender. I had to compete on price when I first began, and had no
reputation to recommend me, but at this stage of my career, (34th
year), I am trying to distill my customer base to only those that are
willing to pay top dollar.   It is the only way I can take the time to
do the best work I can (without feeling like I am being used), which is
where the pleasure of piano work is, for me.
Anything less would create a  resentment in myself, and I would rather
be a resentment than have one.
Regards,
Ed Foote