[pianotech] price-negotiating customers

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Jan 3 15:10:30 MST 2011

Oh Woah to you who quote any price over the phone!!!  I've learned this in
many a hard way. Mostly, when I was new and in a "struggling" area of
Whidbey Island Wa. I say "struggling" as 80% of the island just made
ends-meet, and the other 20% are richer than you could believe. Of course,
you can rarely tell this over the phone! (HINT)  I also tuned on the
mainland; which included a ferry boat ride and long wait for said boat.
NEVER give a discount to anyone!!! Nor give a price quote at all; but
indeed a price 'range'.  The best you can do is explain that all you can
do is give an estimate of $XXX-X,XXX.00. You simply can't tell what
they're telling you about. The cold call customer has NO idea of what
they're asking for.

Sure an exploratory conversation is worth the 10 minutes on the phone, but
I foolishly got into many nasty situations because of it. Here's the worst
I did: (just 5 years into the system and barely an RPT):  Coupon in the
local (small) paper with a coupon for "$45" dollar tunings!!!!  NOBODY
PAID ATTENTION TO "PITCH RAISES OR REPAIRS" WOULD BE EXTRA!!!!!!!!!! Man,
that was a nasty thing to explain myself out of.

Guess what??  NIGHTMARE ala Dracula!!  Not a cool scene, as you might
imagine!

Also, people calling from the mainland asking for a discount for them "if
you tune my neighbor's piano just across the street".  NOT An Option! Just
don't do it. I did that too with horrible outcomes.  (just think of the
worst, and that's it!) Hey! I was new and broke, and didn't know any
better!

Now, after many many years in the biz, wow, now really is, I don't
discount for anyone.

My situation is much different now, and can quote a much different price
for tuning.
Paul