[pianotech] Any Ideas: Museum......rebuild funding

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 3 23:37:38 MST 2011

Ursula,
I would suggest you first find a rebuilder and have that person give his Estimate. Then, they'd have a reasonable idea.. I've Remanufactured one of those, ..an 1867. The actions in that particular piano is a disaster! For the one I did, it got a complete new action...highly modified, by me and Rick Wheeler. Chickerings can be daunting. That particular one, even more so!! If I were to do the job I'd ask for two arms, a leg and your first born's inheritance.<G> Not really, but I'd estimate it very high, having already endoured the first one.<G> If they are looking to Rebuild it, that's one thing. If they are looking to Restore it, that is a whole new set of problems. With the Remanufacture, I did, the piano had a new sound board, pinblock, retoration of the arty case and refinished. The action and back action had to be replaced, completely. Today, the options are many more than anytime in the past, regarding the direction to be taken. And, the action parts availabilities are better...er somewhat.<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police