[pianotech] OFF Topic

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Jan 4 10:43:16 MST 2011

On 1/4/2011 7:55 AM, Dale Erwin wrote:
> I think the position Dean is making really and perhaps not doing a
> very good job of it is that he is saying we are being over taxed for
> services that can be had  for less money.  For example.  CA.
> firefighters and other public service people are retiring with 100% of
> there pay and benefits.  This is now part of what is causing Calif woes.
Possibly, though it seems more likely to me that he has been bamboozled
by rabble-rousers for their own ends, and that efficient local
government offering needed services at a fair price is the last thing
they want.

If someone is so riled up (no doubt he didn't get this way all on his
own) that they equate property tax collection with death squads, I doubt
if they would recognize good local government if they bumped into it in
broad daylight.

Even in places like California where the present system is
unsustainable, there are still many public employees who aren't making
out like bandits, and who work hard at necessary things and get no
thanks at all for it. For instance, after the Oklahoma City bombing, one
discovered who some of those people were.

To a certain extent, we end up with the government we deserve. It's
easier just to shout and scream bloody murder while pretending that
every cent paid is being wasted, without a moment of concern over what
would happen without public order, and without meeting the people hired
by city and county, and finding out what they actually are doing. If
local services are not being efficiently provided. no need to look
further than voter laziness, ignorance, and apathy.

Susan (I'm done ... and if people are concerned about off-topic posting,
then writing diatribes about property taxes as extortion as if everyone
agreed wholeheartedly is a bad way to keep to piano-specific posting.)

P.S. Dale, I agree that California painted itself into a corner with
over-generous pensions (as Colorado did years before) and I'm very
interested in whether Jerry Brown can sort it all out. He sounded
extremely grim and determined on the news yesterday. If he can't do it,
I don't know who will be able to.