[pianotech] Appropriate replacement hammers for Winter spinet?

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jan 5 21:41:39 MST 2011

On Jan 5, 2011, at 8:50 PM, Kurt Baxter wrote:

> Why not just glue all the felts you have back on?
>
> --
>
> I am still considering this option, but being that there are about 7
> missing felts, once I find salvaged hammers that fit, match/drill/
> glue those hammers *in place* (and glue/clamp the 12 lifting felts),
> or pull the whole thing and take it to the shop, the cost could be
> well on way towards a new set of hammers, AND with the added risk
> that that rest of the hammers could fail at any time.
>
> Plus, this client actually seems interested in doing the job right.
> It's just giving me a bit of whiplash that I found a spinet owner
> interested in doing any piano repair job right.

Fair enough - just thought I'd throw that out there. Sounds like
you're headed in the right direction.

> A bit off the topic, has anyone here ever done a full rebuild on a
> spinet?

A spinet? Well, not just ANY spinet - how 'bout a 1948 Wurly spinet
from Mars (or, obviously from somewhere else in the solar system)?
Sorry for the poor quality pictures, but these were taken by my first
digital camera a good ten years ago.

Terry Farrell