[pianotech] Appropriate replacement hammers for Winter spinet?

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jan 6 13:53:04 MST 2011

On Jan 6, 2011, at 1:57 AM, Susan Kline wrote:

> If the glue holding the hammers to the moldings has failed to that
> extent, a new set is needed.

Perhaps desired, but not needed.

SNIP

> You can kind of glue the felt back down, but can you really pull it
> as tight as it originally was?

I'm sure you can't. Is the felt as "tight" on any 50 year old piano as
they originally were? I've CA glued many hammer felts and they sound
just as bad as the intact hammers next to them and all the rest of the
sorry little piano.

> Plus there are the missing ones. It would be a piebald mess, and the
> tone wouldn't be uniform either.

How many winter spinets have uniform tone?

> This sounds like the perfect Winter Spinet to get a new set of
> hammers. Such a rarity ...

Being that the informed owner wishes to do so, indeed! I'll admit, I'd
like to hear it after a good new hammer installation.....

Terry Farrell