[pianotech] Spinets making music

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Jan 6 20:45:58 MST 2011

On 1/6/2011 3:41 PM, Ryan Sowers wrote:
> Susan: About the tuning, be aware that Bill Bremmer had just tuned the
> piano in EBVT III. Personally I thought the  piano sounded delightful
> given the instrument. Maybe it would have sounded better to your ear ET.

I had no idea till I visited the list that Bill had had anything to do
with the piano, let alone that it had just been tuned. While the
temperament takes a little getting used to, that wasn't my problem.
Admittedly it was a spinet, but it seemed to me that the bass was
grossly sharp, and the treble not stretched very well either. On the
other hand, the middle treble sounded very nice, and the treble voicing
was quite pleasant. I think that if one is to have a spinet at all, one
can do worse than a Lester, at least those without plastic in the actions.

Someone just mentioned a "bobbling hammer" and Ron N. talked about some
blocking hammers. To me it was crystal clear that some of the dampers
weren't able to be lifted by the keys. Since the owner said she had just
tried to adjust these herself, that explained everything. It takes time
to learn how to do anything like that.

Susan