[pianotech] Humidity Question

Steven Hopp hoppsmusic at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 8 19:27:34 MST 2011

Returning after the holiday break to a college I tech for I was surprised to find lots of action problems.  All pianos are new and are Steinways and Bostons.
The grands have screws which are loosening in wippen and hammer flanges.  Causing lots of clicking and clacking.  Loose enough to need an 1/8 of turn to retighten and cause some hammers to rub each other.  Also on one Boston grand hammers were blocking and very nearly blocking in tenor and treble sections.
A K-52 is experiencing bobbling hammers on every note and lost motion seems now to be excessive.
My question is:  Is our low humidity here in West Texas at about 20% RH on average and the practice room humidity hovering around 21% capable of causing such widespread fluctuation?
Is it expected with these new pianos that these regulation issues will come up until they have truly acclimated to this new environment?  They have only been here a few months.
For those of you who are Dammp Chaser installers and are experienced with the results, would installation of this system be a good idea given the dry climate?
Thanks for the expert help.
Steven HoppMidland, TX