[pianotech] Humidity Question

Tony Caught acaught at internode.on.net
Sat Jan 8 20:01:30 MST 2011

A simple answer is Yes.  Pianos are built for a RH of 40% to 60% let say a
mean RH of 47% being the optimum.

If the RH is going to stay at 21% plus or minus 10% they should be stable
after acclimatisation but the sound may be a bit bright and the felts may be
a bit hard (caused by less moisture in the soundboard and felts etc.)

I have yet to see an average mentioned by anyone be a true guide you see the
average of 5% and 10% ant 90% is 35% but the swing between 5% and 90% is
85%.

Forget averages, look at the swing. That is what has to be eliminated.

My country is Australia, I work in places like Alice Springs (in the middle
of Australia with a climate much like what you are getting and the only
answer I have found is the full Dampp-Chaser climate control system at 45%
and with undercovers on grand pianos.

Hope this helps, oh yes, Dampp-chaser people are very helpful and can give
you the best advise there is. You know, go to the horses mouth.

Tony

Tony Caught

acaught at internode.on.net