[pianotech] terms

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jan 9 21:50:30 MST 2011

On 1/9/2011 7:03 PM, John Delacour wrote:
> No I mean the beam to which the damper top rail is screwed and which has
> the belly rail glued on top of it.

"Piano Parts and Their Function", which is one of the very few attempts
out there to standardize nomenclature to even a minimal degree (and
seems to be almost universally ignored by most) says it's a middle belly
bar, or cross block. Neither of these terms are obvious, evocative, or
even technically descriptive, which makes them essentially useless. It
seems to be up for grabs. I tend to call the whole assembly the belly
rail, with more specific parts designation by description as necessary,
lacking anything more precise. Should a rational set of nomenclature
suddenly surface, that's widely acceptable, I'd be happy to play.

Ron N