[pianotech] terms

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 10:26:26 MST 2011

At 22:50 -0600 09/01/2011, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>"Piano Parts and Their Function", which is one of the very few
>attempts out there to standardize nomenclature to even a minimal
>degree (and seems to be almost universally ignored by most) says
>it's a middle belly bar, or cross block. Neither of these terms are
>obvious, evocative, or even technically descriptive, which makes
>them essentially useless.

Well whatever it is it's not a belly-bar and it's not the crossblock.
A belly bar is what the Americans call a rib and the crossblock is
what the Germans call the Damm and Steinway call the crossblock
(which is probably one good reason to
be suspicious of the term!).  I've always called it the Damm because
only German s seemed to have a name for it. But the Damm, for me, is
just the "back wall" of the action housing where the bracings are
attached.

>It seems to be up for grabs. I tend to call the whole assembly the
>belly rail, with more specific parts designation by description as
>necessary, lacking anything more precise. Should a rational set of
>nomenclature suddenly surface, that's widely acceptable, I'd be
>happy to play.

Well the word 'rail', in my book, can only be used for long thin
things and the word 'block' is used for short fat things like
keyblocks. So the picture illustrates, attached to the soundboard,
the part that I refer to as the belly rail.  Leaving aside what the
proper term is for the Damm, we are left with one great long chunk of
wood without a name, and this must be called something by the people
who make it because it is not one part with the Damm until they are
glued together.  Neither Schimmel nor Herbert Shead give it a name.

Schimmel says the Americans call the Damm the liner.

I you want a real good laugh, go to Grand Piano on Wikipedia and open
the file
<http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Fortepian_-_schemat.svg>.
And that's not the only example.  I can't find a single realistic
cross-section on the WWW except for scannings of Schimmel's
Nomenclatur, and the English terms there are often very doubtful or
missing.

JD