[pianotech] terms

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Mon Jan 10 18:16:29 MST 2011

According to my old Steinway Model M cross-section drawing the vertical
piece (damm) is called the "spruce crossblock" and the horizontal piece is
called the "birch crossblock." Very enlightening.

An early (1927) book on "piano scale making" calls the whole unit the
"bellybar." This breaks down to the "bottom bellybar," the "middle bellybar"
and the "top bellybar." Makes about as much sense as anything else I've come
across.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich

Piano Design & Fabrication