[pianotech] terms

George F Emerson pianoguru at cox.net
Mon Jan 10 20:29:39 MST 2011

Re: [pianotech] termsJohn Delacour wrote:
>A belly bar is what the Americans call a rib ...

I've been working in the American piano industry for many years, and I do not recall hearing a rib called a belly bar.  I have always known it as a rib.  I have heard the entire assembly that spans the bass and treble arms as a belly rail.  If there is a need to distinguish between its three basic components, top, middle, and bottom belly rails work for me.  Perhaps bar would be a better term than rail for these parts.  I'm just saying that rail is more commonly used in American piano manufacturing.  Perhaps, I should also refer to American piano manufacturing in the past tense.

>Schimmel says the Americans call the Damm the liner.

In my experience in American piano manufacturing, liner is a term for the wood strips in an upright piano to which the soundboard is glued, and not an appropriate term for any component of a grand piano.

George F. (Frank) Emerson