[pianotech] pitch and temperature

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Jan 10 10:26:06 MST 2011

You can do a very simple experiment.  Take a piece of felt (or a split
hammer shank) are rub a string vigorously enough to heat it up.  Measure the
pitch before and after and you'll find that it changes quite a bit depending
on how warm you get it.  If you wait for the string to cool again back to
the original temperature you'll find it goes back to where it started.
Temperature effects metal, humidity effects wood, simply put.  The change in
pitch coming from a change in temperature that is influencing the metal is
pretty instantaneous, the change in pitch that comes from the humidity
influencing the wood takes longer.  The change in pitch that accompanies
stage lighting for example, is due to a change in temperature on the strings
and happens pretty quickly, during the tuning.