[pianotech] ethylene glycol leak damages Yamaha C3

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jan 10 11:17:56 MST 2011

On 1/10/2011 9:58 AM, Mark Ultsch wrote:
> I know the stuff is a dessicant/preservative, but how has it, and how
> will it affect the swellingand dimensional stability of the wood?
> Consequently, how has(how will)the strainofthewood expansionaffected
> glue joints?
>
> Howmightthe glues will be affected?

I don't know.

> How might things change in the summer once there is additional moisture
> in the air?

Moisture will be absorbed by the ethylene glycol, and anything it's
soaked into will swell.

> What can I expectSaturated felt—key-end feltfor example—to behave
> like?(gettoo hard and noisey?)

Any felt, leather, or cloth that got wet with the stuff is trash. Count
on replacement.

> Will the glycol with additives creep alongthestrings into the tuning pin
> block?

I doubt it, but the stuff sitting on the strings will absorb moisture
and rust the strings. Not that long ago, some tooners used to use
ethylene glycol for pin dope.

> I think the soundboard and bellyrail will be ok—right?

Compared to what they were before the spill, probably.

> I think the finish will be ok—right?

Probably. I sure haven't run across anything chemical and non abrasive
that hurts polyester.

> I know I’m not thinking of everything to investigate on this. Thanks
> foranyinput.

Without seeing it: Thorough cleaning of soundboard and keybed, and a
realistic evaluation of whether that looks to be good enough to
continue. If so, new strings and agraffes, new dampers and guide rails,
new back action, new back checks and key end felts, new hammers (at
least), refelt key frame. If shanks and wippens are contaminated,
replace them too.
Ron N