[pianotech] Schoenhut toy piano (somewhat OT)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 11 15:10:32 MST 2011

On 1/11/2011 3:42 PM, David B. Stang wrote:

> Can someone help me get my pea-brained head around the fact that
> removing material from a bell would LOWER its pitch, where I would
> have thought that removing material would make it lighter and more
> flexible, and therefore RAISE the pitch.

With anything vibrational, stiffer raises pitch, more flexible lowers
it. Adding mass lowers pitch, removing some raises it. How much of
which, and where is the problem. It seems you made it more flexible than
light.

> Any ideas about what to do now? Drill the other 11?
> Or, does anybody have a spare D6 metal bell lying around?
> Thanks.

Grind a little off the end (rim) and make it shorter? I don't know what
it looks like, so that's a guess in the dark.
Ron N