[pianotech] Schoenhut toy piano (somewhat OT)

John Ashcraft jaashcraft at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 18:44:00 MST 2011

As Ron says, stiffness and inertia are the issue. Think of a reed organ. If
you file a little off the free end of the reed, the rotational inertia is
reduced, and it gets sharper. To lower it, you file a little off near the
attached end, making it more flexible, and the pitch gets lower. A bell puts
you into 3 dimensions, so it's harder to visualize, but the trick is WHERE
you remove the material. If you grind off material from the open end of the
bell, it should go up.
If I had time, I'd try this for you. Do you have any cheap decorative bells
around from Christmas? Play with one of them.
 --John Ashcraft