[pianotech] pitch and temperature

John Ashcraft jaashcraft at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 18:34:16 MST 2011

I also tune for rural churches in the Nevada and Oregon. I have a system
which has been pretty good: they heat the building up as if it were meeting
day, and I tune at the regular worship service time. Although I'm aiming at
a moving target, I'm recreating the conditions under which the instrument is
used, and the results have been pretty good.

On measuring pitch and predicting, Gene, I do have one datum. A cold room in
a church has a heater that blows directly down into the works of a former
player upright. Just to see what was going on, I started to tune at A440,
did the temperament, extended it an octave, and measured the A 49 pitch at
20 cents flat, which was the result of 110-degree air hitting a 50-degree
piano for 15 minutes. I've tried turning off the heat and tuning, but the
last time I did that piano, I just closed the vent. I tune at the same
season each year, and the basic pitch stays within a few cents now, for the
tuning. Playing it with the case closed and the heat on might see it drift a
bit more.

When I encounter a cold piano, I put my A fork on the plate (which doesn't
mean the meal is over) while I'm cleaning and checking the mechanical
functions as part of my service approach. When the fork stabilizes, I
measure the sharpness of the fork, set A 49 to that pitch, and tune relative
to that pitch. You can do this with an ETD if you keep checking what A 49
reads and adjust accordingly, or you can do octaves by playing the lower
note and dialing in the stretch you're using and tuning the top note: on a
rotating display, you note the roll rate of the lower note, tune the top one
still, then get almost the same roll for the next note up. So, as we know,
you're trying to hit a moving target, but you're in the car in the next lane
over... well, not the nicest analogy, but the physics idea is that you are
in the same frame of reference. It works well for me. I tune below the
temperament entirely by ear, so that half of the piano stays with the
temperament as the instrument heats up.

--John Ashcraft, RPT
Gaston, OR