[pianotech] pitch and temperature

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Jan 10 08:29:09 MST 2011

On 1/10/2011 3:14 AM, Tony Caught wrote:

Hi Tony,
> Now you say that the strings change 1/2 way through the tuning. The question
> is is this caused by the soundboard expanding or shrinking or the strings
> expanding or shrinking.

It's definitely the strings. A few degrees difference will produce a
measurable pitch change very quickly. MC change in wood resulting from
that small temperature change will take hours-to-days.

> Or, my head just shrinking so the sound is expanding.

"As the circle of light increases, so does the circumference of darkness
around it".
--- Albert Einstein ---

Ron N