[pianotech] pitch and temperature

Encore Pianos encorepianos at metrocast.net
Mon Jan 10 10:33:08 MST 2011

It has to be the strings.  Case in point:  I tune a small Yamaha grand for a
church house in in an old New England Congregational style church.  Built in
the early 1800's, big rattly windows, and no insulation.  They stopped
heating the church between Sunday services a couple of years ago.  When I
would come to tune the piano in January or so, they would jack the
temperature up from 10 or 20 degrees to 70 an hour or so before I would
come.  The church air is 70 when I get there, but the piano is so cold that
frost is forming on the sides from the condensation (no joke!!)  I would
spend the whole wasted two hours and 3 passes before I gave up chasing the
pitch all over the place.  As the piano strings would warm up, the pitch
would change so rapidly that by the time I got to the ends of the piano, the
middle would be out again.  The rest of the piano is a thermal mass that
takes much longer to warm up than the strings - I would have to guess many
hours to achieve equilibrium with the air temperature and that of the
strings - I certainly would give up long before that time.

Will Truitt