[pianotech] Using a burn in knife to repair lacquer

Paul McCloud pmc033 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 12 09:11:43 MST 2011

Some years ago I had a video from Mohawk that was excellent.  I don't have
any contact info handy, but they probably have that video still available.
I bet if you check You Tube there will be plenty of stuff there too.
I do a lot of this type of repair.  It's not that hard.  If you have the
equipment and sticks, just make sure your knife isn't too hot, so use a
lamp dimmer to bring down the voltage.  When you touch the knife to the
stick, it shouldn't bubble.  Put burn-in balm (looks like vaseline) around
the area.  Melt the stick into the hole.  Level using the knife blade
across the hole.  You can use a single-edge blade to scrape it level if you
like, but be careful not to scratch the area around the damage.  Sand
level, match the sheen with steel wool or polish if it's higher gloss.
Black sticks never seem to match the black, it always looks grey-er, so
don't expect a perfect repair.
	Have fun (yet?)
	Paul McCloud
	San Diego