[pianotech] Using a burn in knife to repair lacquer

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Thu Jan 13 06:02:21 MST 2011

Hey David,

Depending upon the size, it may still not be a problem.  One of the
techniques for doty is to leave a small amount of the lacquer out to begin
curing - how long depends upon how much.  The goal is to have a small batch
of lacquer that is the consistency of thick honey.  Then you can dot that
lacquer onto the repair area - not TOO much at a time, though, it will still
sag a little.  It's really a pretty easy fix in many ways.

William R. Monroe

It's on the side of the piano though.