[pianotech] animals interrupting tunings

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 13 06:11:33 MST 2011

David's stories remind me of my uncle Bob.  He had a talent of mimicking
sounds.  Car sounds, birds, dogs, cats, people, you would SWEAR that was
baby crying in the other room!  He had his most fun (He's passed on now so,
he can't get into trouble with anyone) tuning with noisy dogs.  Or, maybe I
should say, he was the "occasional" instigator of the noisy dogs?  Sometimes
we all have these dogs that just will NOT shut up!  This is where he had his
most fun.  Trying to tune under these circumstances is nearly impossible
anyway with dogs barking, hollowing and barking some more.  So, here's how
his routine might go.

Dog when Bob arrived there.  Bark bark bark etc..  Customer, "be quiet dog,
he's trying to tune."  Uncle Bob used to say, "Yeah, like the darn dog knows
this?"  And he'd laugh! -  Dog, bark bark bark bark bark... Customer- after
finally having enough of this, shuddap dog!  Smack!  The dog would be quiet
for 3 minutes and start barking again.  Customer, SMACK!  I said, shut up
dog!  The dog would finally shut up.  Now, you have to know my uncle Bob.  I
can see him smiling now just thinking about it.  Under his breath my uncle
Bob would make it sound as if another dog was rather close but, it was a
quiet sound.  So, with his voice he would gooooo - Bowwowowowowowowowow.
Bow wow wowwowowwowowowow.  Dog, BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK!!!  Customer,
I said SHUTUP DOG! SMACK!  He got quite the kick out of doing that....  The
customer would come in to the room and say "I just don't understand what got
into that dog!  Usually it listens to me!"  Uncle Bob would just smile and
say, oh well, maybe he's having a bad day today.  We'll muddle through
it....  When he was sure it was safe again?  "Bow wowowowowowow.  Bow wow
wowowowowowow.....

Hey, don't yell at me, I'm just the story teller!

Jer