[pianotech] 1875 Wm Knabe

Robert Casper bcasper at cox.net
Thu Jan 13 17:58:49 MST 2011

I just tuned a Wm Knabe today that the client had rebuilt last year.  I've
only be at this for 7 years now so there is a lot I haven't seen.  The S/N
printed on the refinished soundboard is 19739.  I make that from 1875-80.
Some of the unusual features were:
  - Legs were very ornate and look like they came from a Square Grand but
the case was very plane.  Very nicely refinished but plane.
  - There were agraffes all to way to the top - 85 notes.
  - It has a full perimeter plate and slanted up at the tuning pins.
  - The is an intermediate bridge between the bass and treble bridges that
takes about an octave of wound trichords between the bass and plane wire
strings.

My question is, should I believe that this is an original 1875 Wm. Knabe?