[pianotech] 1875 Wm Knabe

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jan 13 19:51:00 MST 2011

I don't consider myself an expert on old pianos, but I have seen and
snooped around quite a few. I did a very thorough remanufacture on an
1890s Knabe a few years ago.

 From what you write, it sounds like an original Knabe prior to 1890
anyway. My only question is your characterization of the plate as
"full perimeter". Was it open pinblock? And the "slanting up at the
tuning pins" - I've never seen that on any piano after 1880 or so -
that feature sure sounds old.

 From what you describe, I sure see no reason to believe the piano has
been changed significantly since it's birth in 1875.

Maybe Jack Wyatt can comment on this.....

Terry Farrell