[pianotech] New one on me

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Fri Jan 14 08:59:07 MST 2011

It's not something I would do, but there may have been some analytical thought behind it.  The string would meet the hammer _slightly_ closer to the center of the hammer, _perhaps_ stressing the flange pinning less than if the string was alone in its normal position.  It would probably be too much to hope that the  relocated string would not cause uneven wear to the hammer in either of the original string grooves, making prospects for a future proper repair better.  Was the old damper left in the piano as well?
Quote:
List, I found a situation that I have never seen before and I just had to share it with you. It was in a church on a Yamaha UP-22. A two string unison had a broken string that I found in the bottom of the piano. That is no problem because the church might have not wanted to pay for it or anything. It was the left string that broke and the right string was on the right bridge pins at the bottom. At the pressure bar, the string was rerouted to the left pressure bar pin. The damper was removed and an old dirty single string damper was put on at an angle to dampen the single remaining string. Now, I have only been doing this since 1972, but I have to say, this was a new one on me. Hope I described it right, I don't do picts. William