[pianotech] A432 Tuning Fork

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Jan 19 21:02:13 MST 2011

Hi, James

Don't fiddle around with trying to get it accurate -- return it to
Schaff with a note explaining that it isn't accurately tuned to 440.

On the other hand, what are "all electronic instruments"? I lot of
little tuning boxes for guitar, flute, etc., are quite far off. Have you
checked it against other forks? If you are testing it with amateur-level
electronic sources, you might try finding a tuner who uses an ETD
(electronic tuning device) and check it against that instead.

I've ordered a number of John Walker tuning forks (generally A=440) and
not had a bad one yet.

As for the room temperature and so on, my kit lives in the car, so the
fork is always cold. I warm it with my hands to somewhere near room
temperature, (which, please note, is a lot cooler than the human body).
Then I lay it down on the piano. I consider that what I'm getting for
A440 this way, is very, very close. ("Close enough to make no never
mind", as people used to say -- and, solely in my opinion, ought to say
more often!)

Of course for your tuning exam you want to be sure your pitch source is
accurate. I used my normal fork for mine, and got 100% (on THAT section,
<groan>). The large aluminum fork is pretty vulnerable to changing
temperatures. A Deagan-style fork might be a better choice. There's
nothing wrong with having two forks, either ...

Susan Kline