[pianotech] A432 Tuning Fork

Roge Domeny rogerdomeny at att.net
Thu Jan 20 10:43:24 MST 2011

Jim is correct. They do not allow any devices with visual displays in the
exam room. I was allowed to keep my cell phone, but I assured them it would
stay in my pocket while I was at the test piano.

Make sure that you are using a test interval with coincident partials at the
fundamental of A49, such as the F21-A49 M17 = F21-Calibrated Pitch Source
test, adjusting F21 to achieve a discernable beat rate if necessary. DO NOT
use a test that has coincident partials at the second (or higher) partial of
A49. For example, the F33-A49 M10 has coincident partials at A61, which is
the second partial of A49. Tests that rely on higher partials of A49 will
not be accurate because the inharmonicity that is present in the piano will
not be matched by the pitch source. Learn to set pitch with a test interval
that has coincident partials at the fundamental of A49 (such as the F21-A49
M17 test), and you will nail it every time, whether you use a fork or an
electronic pitch source. That is, as long as your pitch source is accurately
calibrated.

Roger Domeny
Domeny's Piano Service