[pianotech] A440 Tuning Fork

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Thu Jan 20 14:53:41 MST 2011

I agree. I actually don't use "real" numbers for tuning either, but I
have found the correspondence of "at A6, 1 cent equals 1 Hz" to be the
pivotal fact in deriving my own understanding of the relationship
between cents and Hz. With simple multiplication, division and
interpolation (all mental) this has helped me get from strictly aural
methods to understanding the different meaning of cents at different
pitch levels. I now know that, for example, if I change A1 by 1 cent,
not until I listen up to its 32nd partial (A6) will there be 1 hz
change. That helps me not worry so much about teensy differences in bass
note pitches, with a basis in factual reality supporting my judgment.

-Mark