[pianotech] Malpractice insurance for working for a school district

Mark Schecter mark at schecterpiano.com
Fri Jan 21 00:03:31 MST 2011

Hi, Diane,

I don't think they have any right at all to your client list. If they want references, you can choose who to have them contact.

As far as providing services to minors, you're not. You're providing services to the school/district. You don't touch or interact with children, you touch and interact with inanimate objects.

Perhaps by malpractice, they mean to say liability? That I could understand. But the rest seems completely misplaced to me.

To suddenly burden you with these unprecedented demands itself seems unethical, if they have not required these things prior to paying previous invoices, and especially so if they're delaying paying for work that has already been performed. If they want to make a new contractual arrangement, fine, but they can't just arbitrarily impose new restrictions on a working agreement whenever they take a notion. They should settle up for work performed under the existing agreement without changing anything, then negotiate a new agreement for future work, if they can get you to go along with their new requirements.

Just my take, of course.

-- Mark Schecter

PS  Don't know about the punctuation, sorry¡