[pianotech] Malpractice insurance for working for a school district

David Stocker firtreepiano at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 23:34:57 MST 2011

Diane,

Such questionnaires are designed to cover the normal contracting situations
for a school district. It may not fit our situation. If I read the questions
right,

A. You are NOT providing services to minors. You aren't teaching, coaching
or counseling. You are tuning a piano. Malpractice is different from
liability. Malpractice would mean payment if you did a lousy job. Liability
would pay if you drop a piano on a kid. That, you should have.

B. Client list may be applicable if you are providing counseling to several
schools, etc. I cannot think they really want a piano tech's customer list.
I think that would probably break several privacy laws in my state.
References would be a different issue.

C. A contract would be a potentially great thing, especially if you write it
up. You can establish the need for a quiet room (or pay an extra fee),
adequate time (or pay a fee), parking not at the end of the earth (or pay a
fee), etc. Most of my school district and even college work is on a verbal
agreement. Think it through well.

David Stocker, RPT

Tumwater, WA