[pianotech] Tuning Forks and their origin & calibration

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Fri Jan 21 21:35:56 MST 2011

On 1/21/2011 2:07 PM, Paul T Williams wrote:
> The second try was only a minute later, so probably not up to 68.5, so
> what a thing!  I think the phone dial is really at 440! (or very close
> to it). Susan, nice job! :>)  Do we really have nothing else to do
> ;>). What if someone walks into our shop while doing this crazy
> experiment?? Wow!  Nobody here while doing mine, thank, God!!....it's
> gotta look strange.
As I get older, it seems more and more important to not mind looking
strange. <g>

In a pinch if you're without a tuning fork, having checked earlier to be
sure your area's dial tone is like almost all the other dial tones,
i.e., 440, you could use it as a pitch reference. But don't try using
the F below it!! It's not tempered.

Susan