[pianotech] Tuning Forks and their origin & calibration

Overs Pianos sec at overspianos.com.au
Sun Jan 23 10:59:17 MST 2011

Susan wrote:

>In a pinch if you're without a tuning fork, having checked earlier
>to be sure your area's dial tone is like almost all the other dial
>tones, i.e., 440, you could use it as a pitch reference. But don't
>try using the F below it!! It's not tempered.

A couple of times I've arrived at a job only to find that I left my
fork at the workshop on a 'work in progress'. I've dug myself out of
this predicament a couple of times by getting one of the workshop
guys to play the fork down the phone while I'm setting the pitch.
Works just fine if you have someone back at your shop.

Regards,
Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY