[pianotech] drop actions

Joe Goss imatunr at srvinet.com
Mon Jan 24 09:55:14 MST 2011

Hi Marshall,
I would choose to lay the action on the dampers with action props keeping the dampers from making contact with the floor of your car. The props are usually able to be attached to the holes in the brackets where they attach to the piano. Some times when the action is held in place with screws the holes must be enlarged to accept the thumb T bolt that is used to attach the stand off legs. Before I got the props I used 2"X4"  pieces tied to the outside action brackets.
Is this a front wheel drive car? If so you will have a flat floor and much less to worry about.
Hey just thought of a tool you could make yourself that would work with holes that open to the front of the action <not the side>. Two lengths of 6"   <perhaps longer> 1/8" pipe and one 2' ready bolt cut to 8" length and bolts and washers. OH now that I am thinking about it, One does not need the pipe only the ready bolt washers and lock nuts. Just run the nuts where they are needed and cinch up.
Joe Goss BSMusEd MMusEd RPT
imatunr at srvinet.com
www.mothergoosetools.com