[pianotech] To unplug or not to unplug

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Mon Jan 24 10:16:34 MST 2011

Barbara -
I had a lengthy conversation with Randy @ DamppChaser this morning
about a number of things, including this.  His take on "unplug", if
he doesn't mind my summarizing, was that the soundboard is much
slower to acclimate to a change in condition than the couple of hours
your system would be disengaged (taking into account all the caveats
that have been already aired).  He felt that temperature change would
be much more of a factor, short term, than humidity.  Of course, what
I didn't think of at the time was whether the absence of any heat
source under the board, for that period of time, would represent a
"temperature change".  Not what I think he had in mind.

If you truly felt the need to stay 'powered-up', but were genuinely
concerned for the welfare of the choir members, you might look into
using something like a battery back-up, like we ALL use for our
computers.  If the piano is mounted on a dolly (given your
description, it sound like it should be), you could just have that
mounted on said dolly and plug into that.

And then, there's just tacking down the extension cord with premium
gaffer's tape, my favorite tool.

Regards -
David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY