[pianotech] DC (was:To unplug or not to unplug)

Jon Page jonpage at pianocapecod.com
Mon Jan 24 16:42:31 MST 2011

This past summer I tuned a vertical with a full DC system.

The AC was going and the house was rather cool.
When I opened the piano, the interior felt warm and humid.
I left the knee board on,

I could hear the center's pitch migrating as I was
heading into the treble.

Even if I had done action adjustments while the piano acclimated,
it would have still gone out once the piano was closed up.

I'm not a fan of keeping a water tank in/under a piano
in the summer. Why have a humidity source in an already
humid climate.  I think it's a good time to pull the tank out
for cleaning and then replace it in the Fall.

I have always said, humidify the room first and then if you need
to micro-manage the piano's RH add a DC. It makes no sense to
'climatize a piano' and have the DC's effect dissipate when opened
because the piano is acting as a humidifier for the room.
--

Regards,

Jon Page